Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 3 Le Cordon Bleu Paris

LONG day today.

We began the first 3 hours at 0830 with a practical based on Friday's Demo: Truss and poach a chicken, make a chicken stock from the poaching. Use the stock to make a Sauce Supreme which is the chicken stock, plus a roux, plus cream and butter. Finally, make a rice using the chicken stock. Serve on hot plate. It all went pretty well. I have never trussed a chicken before, so that was not too bad. I am enjoying making the stocks and the derivative sauces...no canned products! How cool. I learned some finer points with the sauce making as the chef (a different chef than the first couple of days) came around and gave pointers. Finesse is the name of the game. They are BIG on plating...no finger prints on the plate, no smudges of food, etc..I finished about an hour early so I managed to go for a little walk to clear my head and downed 2 espressos. After all, who ever made a chicken at 8:30 in the morning. Below is a picture of Wen Bo from China enjoying a light snack after our practical(this was his chicken and rice dish)




The second session began at 1230.  The session was a demo and our first of 3 which deal with doughs. We were shown how to make a savory yeast dough which was then used to make a Pissaladère. The chef explained that this is a Southern France dish and is considered a "French" pizza. Next he demo'ed how to make pasta dough, he rolled it out, made tomato sauce, a bechamel sauce and used it all along with a few other items to create a cannelloni dish. I had to ask why we were being taught an Italian dish. The chef said that we are taught this because making pasta is a "dough making" process and thus presented to complement all of the doughs that are taught in the curriculum. We will not be responsible for making this dish. I may try it when I return to the states. Here is a picture of the chef's Pissaladère.


Then I had a 3 1/2 break, which is now. I came home because frankly I could not stand to smell myself and needed a shower and a little down time. I can't imagine the heat in the kitchens during the summer. I will be going back in an hour for a 3 hour practical to make the dough and the Pissaladiere. I just had a coffee and 2 chocolate croissants and I feel GREAT! So, I need to study a little before I head back.

A' Demain

No comments:

Post a Comment