Sunday, November 22, 2009

2nd Weekend Off

It can hardly be called a weekend with only Sunday off, but I am finding that after only 8 days of school my body is becoming very resilient and able to recover quickly from fatigue. So, today Sunday I put on my tourist hat again and headed out for some exploration of Paris.


My first stop was the Latin Quarter which is mostly in the 5th Arrondissement (and part in the 6th). It's noted for being the center of education and a hub of student social activity. I decided to loosely follow one of my "city walk" cards. I have a set of 50 different walking cards for Paris which Lynn was kind enough to loan me before I left CA. The cards are really convenient because they are so easy to carry, they contain a map, and also depict the metro stops for that area. Also, on the back of the card there is info on the major sights along the walk. My main goal was to see the Sorbonne. Where else can one see a University that was established in the 1200's! My other reason for visiting the University is that my grandfather, one aunt ,and my uncle (both my mom's siblings) are Sorbonne graduates. I also walked along Rue St Jacques to see if I could "feel" its rich history amid the modern bustle. Rue St Jaque was built by the Romans and was the first main road that led in and out of Paris. No luck with feeling the "rich history"! Too many years of modernization; however, there are preserved remnants of Roman Baths one block from the St. Michel Metro.  From there I headed to the Pantheon and spent some time admiring the architecture, seeing the crypt where French notables such as Voltaire and Madam Curie are encrypted, and finished by walking the nearby streets. I then jumped on the metro and headed for the 7th Arrondissement.




Sorbonne



81 Rue De Loo

My second destination was more about satisfying a personal quest. I have read Julia Child's
"My life in France" three times. This book is so inspirational to me for Julia Child really exemplifies the zest for life that we should all strive toward. In her book she discusses in detail her initial arrival in Paris and the first apartment she and her husband Paul rented on 81 Rue de L'Université. Prior to coming to Paris, I had promised myself that I would find her apartment and take a picture of it. So, like a pious worshiper making his pilgrimage toward some holy ground, I set off to find "81 Rue de Loo" as Julia referred to it. This is where it all began for Julia Child. She had never really cooked until she moved here and began to discover her fascination with French cuisine. It was also here where she began experimenting with her new found skills to eventually develop recipes for her first book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". Sadly, there is no placard on the building commemorating the fact the Julia Child had once resided at the apartment, nor, from reading a previous article, are most of the building's residents even aware of that fact. After staring at the building long enough to absorb some of Julia's Karma to get me successfully through the next 4 weeks of school, I began to head home. Mission accomplished. (I know Sjoerd's wife jayne is smiling right now).

I stopped off at my local market along Rue de Bretagne and picked up some fruit and vegetables.

I am one of the assistants for the upcoming week which will add some difficulty to my routine. As the assistant, I have to arrive 30 minutes early for every practical to round up the ingredients for my group from the basement. Kelsey will also be an assistant.

My Naval Academy classmate Chris, a Delta pilot, has a Paris layover tomorrow night. We're planning to meet up in St-Germain-De-prés for a couple of drinks after my 10 hour day! I haven't seen Chris in 10 years, so I am really looking forward to seeing him.


No comments:

Post a Comment