Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bois De Boulogne

Today I spent the afternoon in Bois De Boulogne which is a park 2.5 times the size of NY's Central Park and is located on the western edge of Paris. I discovered this park by chance while I was viewing the entire city from atop the Eiffel tower yesterday. The green expanse was immediately noticeable amongst the sprawl of Paris. My guide books had not really mentioned this park as a destination, so it was a nice accidental discovery.  Every reference I did find on this park mentioned that the park transforms into a haven for prostitutes at night!


So off I went for a hike. It was a day of changing light and mood as the clouds and sun traded places. The park has many hiking routes, but I chose a short hike around one of its lakes "lac Inferior . In the middle of the lake is an island with a restaurant called "Chalet Des Iles" reachable by a small ferry that shuttles back and forth (the ride is only one minute long). I took the ferry and explored the trails on the small island. All in all it was a nice hike with the changing fall colors and was refreshing to have a nature experience right in the midst of bustling Paris. As the light faded, so did I in fear of being caught in the shift change from a peaceful park to a seedy brothel.

No comments:

Post a Comment