Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 22 Le Cordon Bleu Paris

Exam day! But we had to sit through a demo and perform a practical before the exam. There was a little bit of apprehension since we really did not know what to expect with this test.

The demo covered 3 dishes. I decided that I would only focus on the Sea Bream with Fennel since we would have to cook it later in the practical session and I wanted to keep my head uncluttered.

A beautiful Bream

After lunch we all just wanted to get the practical over with so we could focus on the exam.
It's really too bad because this was one of the dishes that we all seemed to enjoy the most, but we all rushed through it. Here is Flavia saying goodbye to her Bream before she hacked it to pieces. The dish required us to fillet the fish and then use the carcass to make a fish stock (fumet). In the meantime, we julienned a fennel bulb and cooked it "étuver". The fish stock was then used to make a sauce with the addition of cream, butter, anise, and chopped chives. Tomatoes were cooked as a garnish. Here is my finished dish.


My Sea Bream with Fennel

Following the practical, we all gathered in the winter garden awaiting the exam. Finally the time came to file into class and take the exam. It's really silly how worked up some of us got over this test considering the big picture. The exam itself was more substantial in content than I had anticipated. I felt good about portions of it and really BAD about other parts. Oh well.

Afterward you would have thought we had finished some colossal feat because the PARTY mood was in the air and smiley faces were all around. It was about 4p.m. and a group of us headed out to a local cafe for happy hour. My college buddy Chris was in town again and came out to join us. It was a great time to socialize with the classmates as this experience  is rapidly approaching its end (for me anyway).


Happy Hour at local cafe. I think I'm saying to Allis"If they had only not put the damn Marseilles soup recipe on the exam....."

After happy hour, oblivious to all cars and pedestrians, we herded to a nearby Korean restaurant for dinner. This was the same Korean place some of us had been to our first week of school. That seemed so long ago, and look at us now! Steve, Julia's husband, joined us there. Once again, a festive time to drink, eat wonderful food, and soak up each other's company.

Again the caravan was on the move. This time, 2 metro rides to Ile De St Louis for Flavia's party. This is where we would join in with the hardcore Latin party group! Oyyy...dios mio!!!!


Yuka, Julia, Jennifer, and Kelsey getting sentimental
as the end draws near


Me with Kelsey. (Will in the background wishing for a hug)


My "little sister" Kelsey and Jennifer were calling me Papa all night thinking the they might have a new source of money if I adopted them as my daughters.


3 Naval Academy guys: Chris, me, and Will

Flavia's party was already in gear when we arrived. I would say at least half of the class were now at the party. What fun.


Even Bernie (at 50, one of the senior member of our class) was getting down
"Uno mas grande cerveza por favor?"


Chris inducted as an honorary Basic Cuisine Student


The inseparable Asians Y.K.J. (I'm not Asian)


The Brazilian hostess extraordinaire Flavia
(Pic taken by Alan Paparazzi style)

Well, it was a fun night. This fairly arduous week is almost over. We all badly needed an outlet to blow off some steam and this night was perfect for that. We have 3 demonstrations, and 3 practicals left (the last practical being our Final exam). I am envious of those who will remain behind for the remainder of the diploma program, not only for the education, but I know some lifelong friendships will be forged.




No comments:

Post a Comment