Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 16 Le Cordon Bleu Paris

I caught quite a bit of grief for not going to the class dinner last night. In some ways I regret not going. I hear that the food itself was nothing to call home about, but as always these experiences are more about the people. I missed out on more bonding with my classmates and missed out on meeting the basic Pastry students who were also present.

Classes began at 12:30 today to allow for recovery from the dinner for the night owls. We had 2 tasks to accomplish in this practical:

1. Make the beignets de gambas (batter fried shrimp)
2. Soufflé au fromage (Cheese Soufflé)




My plate (Beignet de gambas)

It was an easy session with the entire group finishing almost an hour early. The shrimp required shelling and deveining. We had to make the batter. Also we made a tartare sauce. We have to make almost everything we need (almost). For example, mayonnaise is required to make tartare, so we had to make the mayonnaise in order to make the tartare. Finally, we had to deep fry the battered shrimp. Simple.



Eduardo plating his dish with the
concentration of a skilled 
surgeon


Flavia working the deep fryer

The Soufflé came from waaaaay back on our 3rd lesson. It seems waaaay back, but in normal human time, it was only 2 weeks ago. It consisted of a béchamel sauce with egg yolks, Gruyere cheese, and some heavily whisked egg whites baked in a buttered and floured ramekin. Here is my Soufflé.

After our break we had a demo covering 3 dishes. I'll only feature one of them because it's something I'll make again. It was Salmon marinated with dill. The name is misleading because the Salmon marinade is made up of many more ingredients besides dill (Dill is the major herb component) and the Salmon is served raw. The citrus juices in the marinade (lemon and lime) "cook" the salmon ceviche style. The salmon is served in thinly sliced pieces. I can think of many variations of dish that I want to try. The taste and flavors of this dish are right up my alley.  Here is a picture of it:


Joined some of the guys for a beer after class and came home on a classically drizzly Parisian night.

No comments:

Post a Comment