Saturday, December 12, 2009

5th Weekend Off (Part 2)

The final exam practical is looming ahead, like an annoying headache preventing me from having fun this weekend. Every attempt I have made to do something fun this weekend has left me feeling guilty that I am not studying. Yesterday I ventured out for a short walk on a very brisk morning. With the aid of my Paris walking guide and the urging of my friend Chris, I chose to explore the St. Martin canal. This canal was used as a means for transporting goods from the Seine into the Northern parts of Paris. It was constructed in the early 1800's. A portion of it from Rue Du Faubourge Du Temple to Place De a Bastille is now covered. It was not the typical touristy spot, so it was refreshing to see another side to Paris. The canal has many locks and quaint foot bridges. The walk finally brought me back to my home turf near Republique.







Back in the apartment I could not ignore this exam any longer. A large pot of coffee brewing and my bag of assorted pastries were my fuel. So I began sifting through my 10 recipes. Unlike the written exam, which constituted such a small portion of the total grade, this practical exam is 45% of the total. My approach is, rather than being bogged down with details, to view each recipe from a "big picture" perspective. Visualizing the final product is a key to how each dish is made. I then look at the ingredient list and prioritize my tasks. We have made almost 30 recipes, so many of the  techniques or methods are now second nature. If there is a tomato in the ingredient list, I know that it needs to be skinned, so I need to get some water boiling to perform an émonder. If there is a veal or chicken stock, I need to warm it and begin skimming. If there is a sauce reduction, I need to be aware of keeping the butter or cream cold. Roasting requires to get the oven going. What requires the longest time? If I need to make a stock to use later for other tasks, then I need to make the stock first. Although each of the above are elementary tasks, when they all exist in one recipe, then organization of the tasks can make or break the event.

Sauce making has become more routine thanks to repetition. When a sauce is made and there is a laundry list of ingredients, it's now natural to know the sequence of events. It's almost always browning of some meat or trimmings in oil, degrease, shallots/onions/garlic are sweated, tomato/tomato paste added and acidity burned off, deglaze with white wine or other alcohol, add stock, bouquet garni/other spices, and reduce. Usually a strain is required depending on the sauce (this is where visualizing the final product is helpful) followed by a final touch with butter or cream.

I'll just keep going through the recipes again and again until I feel good about visualizing the entire process. Only 2 days to go! It's bitter sweet...I am a bit homesick, don't like the pressure of an exam over my head, but I am also enjoying the school, and my new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment