Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Cook's Garden

In a perfect world every cook/chef should have his/her own garden. It's been years since I planted a garden. I have delayed, procrastinated, and at times been unable to plant a garden. I finally decided that another year lost would be simply unacceptable. I finally put in a garden this year. There is nothing more satisfying and calming as walking through my little patch each morning, inspecting, picking, and taking in the aromas of my own vegetables and herbs. As a cook, it's really gratifying to be able to select flavors from my own garden.



I am fortunate to have some space to plant a garden with decent variety, but you really don't need much space to plant herbs, or a tomato for example. In fact, you only need a couple of pots to plant your favorite herbs. I have always been irked when a recipe required me to buy a whole bunch of an herb for only 1 TBS. The waste! With a garden, I have the luxury to pick only what's needed.


Here, I have planted marjoram, oregano, spearmint, savory, basil, and cilantro all in the same pot.

If you cook, I really encourage you to plant a small garden or a minimum of a few pots outside your window filled with herbs. Basil, parsley, mint, and thyme are examples of herbs that are really simple to grow and require minimum care. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment