Friday, February 18, 2011

The Scraper

The kitchen scraper is a common tool for bakers, but I had never used one until I went to Culinary School. At Le Cordon Bleu, each of us received one as a part of our issued "kit". It quickly became an indispensable part of my kitchen.I now use it for so many kitchen tasks both at home and at the restaurant that I wonder how I got along without one.

Here are some uses for this versatile and inexpensive tool:

-During prep on a cutting board, use the scraper to scoop up chopped herbs, onions, garlic, etc..
-Use to scrape work surface clean after preparing dough
-Use to scrape any work surface clean. Most useful if surface is a dark color that allow small food scarps to visually blend in.
-Use to scrape off dough from rolling pin
-Use to scrape the inner side of a sauce pan or pot above the food surface to prevent burning of residual food that is stuck on the sides of the pan.
-Use the rounded side of the scraper to scrape clean the contents of a bowl.
-Use the straight edge as a measuring device for cutting dough or sheets of pasta
-Use the straight edge to cut dough, pasta, etc...
-Use to remove or scrape off anything that is baked on a cookie sheet instead of using a spatula

I highly recommend trying one in your kitchen. It also make a great little gift. Scrapers come in many sizes and colors and are available at most kitchen stores. The one pictured above is the one that was issued to me at school and can be purchase at the following store for $4.38

No comments:

Post a Comment