Monday, August 31, 2009

Counting the Days

I have been spending as much time as possible studying French. My high school French has vacated my brain and I am seeing the sad effect of aging on my memory. I long for my college brain that could retain even the most trivial details. My mom who is fluent in French has been a great help with my awful pronunciation.

I have also dusted off my Julia Child "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and tried a few of the recipes to acquaint myself with the French technique. I made her famous "boeuf Bourguignon" last week. Beth declared it my best stew ever! I'll take that compliment since Beth has a HIGHLY evolved palate. The timing of all of this is ironic given the current success of the movie "Julie & Julia". It seems that the rest of America is rediscovering Julia Child and her genius. The sale of her book "Mastering" is setting new sales records 48 years after its debut. I discovered Julia Child after reading her book "My life in France" two years ago. After reading the book I immediately went on ebay and found and bought a 1966 edition of her "Mastering the Art of French Cooking Volume I". An interesting side note: Her first edition was published on the very day that I was born! Could be a sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment