Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Apartment Hunt

The search for a suitable place to stay in Paris has been VERY time consuming. Given my budget, my need for a washer (2 chef uniforms that will need to be washed continuously), a stove and oven, cool location, and metro friendly area, etc...I have had to spend lots of hours scouring rental agency, Vacation by Owner, and Craigs List sites. I have been amazed at how many of my friends have friends or relatives that own a place in Paris! I had originally found a cool place in the Latin Quarter on the left bank, but unfortunately, it fell through. I have secured a new place, not as cool or hip, but it will do. It's in the 1st arrondissement which is near the Louvre and Les Halles on the right bank. In the process of scouring the ads I have discovered many pitfalls, so if anyone needs help in the future let me know. As an example, one of the confusing things about French building nomenclature is the floor numbering system. All the ads refer to the "French 1st floor", or the "French 2nd floor". This one is on the French 4th floor which apparantly means the 5th floor in the U.S. System (I hope). As my prospective guests can see, there's not a lot of room here (hint), so my ability to accomodate is very limited:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment