Thursday, December 23, 2010

Another Winery job?

I went in to the restaurant last night just for the prep. The garde manger cook, a relatively new guy. was a bit behind so my night was dedicated to helping him with his very lengthy mis en place. Although a junior position in the kitchen, I think garde manger may be one of the most challenging. He is responsible for the amuse bouche, the cold apps, salads, soups, bar food orders, and terrines. On busy nights, the station is manned by 2 but we're in the slow season, so the Chef keeps only one guy at the station on the week nights.

While cutting away at the prep station, I asked the Chef about his old job prior to the restaurant. He had been a winery Chef at a Sonoma Valley winery. As we spoke, he mentioned that his successor at his old winery job is one of his best friends and he would be happy to pass my info to him for working special events! Wow! Another winery job and working for another Chef would be great. I didn't respond immediately because I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but I also couldn't let such a generous recommendation slip by. So, I said "yes". This does not mean that his friend will want me or even need more people, but I was flattered that the Chef saw me worthy enough to recommend. This profession is truly incestuous with an extensive spider web of connections between the Chefs which is another reason to always do your best, present a good attitude, and refrain from burning any bridges because It could come back to haunt you or as in this case, it could reward you.

No comments:

Post a Comment